20 ILCS 3921
AN ACT concerning the Illinois Century Network.
Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois, represented in the General Assembly:
Section 1 Short title. This Act may be cited as the Illinois Century Network Act.
Section 5. Legislative findings and declarations. The General Assembly finds and declares:
- That computing and communications technologies are essential for sustaining economic competitiveness and fostering the educational vitality of this State.
- That there is an established need for a telecommunications infrastructure that will provide high-speed, reliable, and cost-effective digital connections throughout the State.
- That a network is required that will deliver educational programs, advanced training, and access to the growing global wealth of information services to citizens in all parts of this State.
The Illinois Century Network Act is amended by changing Sections 10, 15 and 20 as follows:
Section 10. Illinois Century Network.
The Illinois Century Network shall be a service creating and maintaining high speed telecommunications networks that provide reliable communication links to and among Illinois schools, institutions of higher education, libraries, museums, research institutions, State agencies, units of local government, and other local entities that provide services to Illinois citizens. The Illinois Century Network shall build on existing investments in networking schools,colleges, and universities, avoid duplication of future efforts, maintain sufficient capacity to meet the requirements of the participating institutions, and stay current with rapid developments in technology. The Illinois Century Network shall be capable of delivering state-of-the-art access to education, training, and electronic information and shall provide access to networking technologies for institutions located in even the most remote areas of this State.
Section 15. Management of the Illinois Century Network.
(a) Staffing and contractual services necessary to support the network's activities shall be governed by the Illinois Century Network Policy Committee. The committee shall include:
- 6 standing members as follows:
- the Illinois State Library Director or designee;
- the Illinois State Museum Director or designee;
- the Executive Director of the Board of Higher Education or designee;
- the Community College Board President or designee;
- the State Board of Education State Superintendent or designee; and
- the Director of Central Management Services or designee;
- up to seven members who are appointed by the Governor who:
- have experience and background in private K-12 education, private higher education or who are from other participant constituents that are not already represented;
- shall serve staggered terms up to 3 years as designated by the Governor; and
- shall serve until a successor is appointed and qualified; and
- a Chairperson who is appointed by the Governor and who shall serve a term of 2 years and until a successor is appointed and qualified.
(b) Illinois Century Network Policy Committee members shall serve without compensation but shall be entitled to reimbursement for reasonable expenses of travel for members who are required to travel for a distance greater than 20 miles to participate in business of the Illinois Century Network Policy Committee.
Section 20. Illinois Century Network Policy Committee. The Illinois Century Network Policy Committee shall set general policies for the network. The Committee shall have the following additional duties and powers:
- to purchase, acquire, or receive equipment and agreements or contracts for services for the benefit of the Illinois Century Network or its participants;
- to sell or convey equipment or services desirable for Network operations to its participants at reasonable costs incurred in the acquisition of the equipment and services;
- to employ and fix the compensation for employees as it deems reasonable to achieve the purposes of this Act;
- to establish and maintain petty cash funds as provided in Section 13.3 of the State Finance Act;
- to make, amend, and repeal bylaws, rules, regulations, and resolutions that are consistent with this Act;
- to make and execute all contracts and instruments necessary or convenient to the exercise of its powers;
- to exclusively control and manage the Network for all moneys that are donated, paid, or appropriated for the creation, improvement, and or operation of the Network;
- to prepare and submit a budget for the necessary and contingent operation expenses of the Network;
- to accept grants and funds from the federal and state government and any federal or state agency and to expend those moneys in accordance and in furtherance of the purposes of this Act;
- to enter into intergovernmental agreements with other governmental entities, including but not limited to, the Board of Higher Education, the Illinois Community College Board, the State Board of Education, the Department of Central Management Services, and local education agencies, in order to implement and execute the powers and duties set forth in this Act; and
- to acquire or procure telecommunications or computer networks or related services, alone or in cooperation with other governmental or educational entities, as may be of reasonable benefit to the Network or its participants for the general purpose set forth in this Act; and
- to receive assignment of ownership or management rights and the use of telecommunications equipment and services owned or leased by the State of Illinois or other entities providing services to Illinois citizens for use in operation of Network programs and services.
Section 25. Illinois Century Network Special Purposes Fund.
There is hereby created the Illinois Century Network Special Purposes Fund within the State treasury. Deposits into the Fund shall include but not be limited to any funds appropriated to State agencies for the operation of the Network, funds collected as reimbursements, fees for network partnerships, and federal funds. Deposits into the Fund shall include any gifts, grants, or donations received by the network from any public or private organization including State and federal agencies. Earnings attributable to moneys in the Illinois Century Network Special Purposes Fund shall be deposited into the Fund. Subject to appropriation, all moneys within the Fund shall be expended for the operation of the Illinois Century Network, including building and maintaining the Network and its supporting connections.
Section 99. Effective date. This amended Act takes effect July 18, 2002.